Monday, April 6, 2009

Working with Paruresis

When I think about how much my paruresis affects my life I would absolutely have to agree that it is a disability according to the americans with disabilities act definition. Not only does it affect the way I live my life but has effectively ruined it for me and many others. In my case my paruresis forces me to be completely agoraphobic. I have a very severe case in which I can only use my bathroom at home. I can leave the house but doing so means I constantly feel anxious about when and where I will be able to go again. Working means holding it for six hours a day because I usually can not tell people about my shy bladder. A lot of times I have to work much longer and it can be very painful. I have walked out on several jobs because I would rather quit than have to admit my paruresis in front of all my coworkers. This usually causes depression so bad it has put me in the hospital a few times now. Of course, that can be even worse so I try to cope with it on my own if possible. Recently I decided to try to be open about my paruresis at work but I just choke up. I am not sure it would do anything but make my boss decide that I am trying to get out of work and fire me. I am also very unclear on what if any protection the law offers me in this regard. Doctors tell me that holding it every day for so long will probably cause incontinence or other problems later in life. I do not see any other choice. Even the doctors seem to think I am lying to them about it. I can not find any information concerning disability payments for paruresis so I can only assume this particular mental disability does not qualify a person to receive financial aid. Simply determining if someone was being honest about it would be an issue but given the severity of some cases I think it certainly warrants some help. Especially considering some of the things people collect for. Paruresis is a much more serious issue than most people realize.

No comments: